Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Running for the "Run"

Well I am officially running for the "Run" now. That's Logan's Run Animal Rescue.
I am raising money by running 26.2 miles in Paris, France for my 5th marathon. As those of you who know me know that I am passionate about many things, but high on my list is fundraising (Paying it forward) and running. This year I choose to run for a small organization where I felt I could make the biggest impact. Animal control in this area that I live in is...how can I say? Almost non-existent. If not for Logan's Run Rescue there would be so many more abused, and abandoned animals roaming the beautiful roads I run on and call home now.
Since their inception, barely a year ago they have helped over 175 stray and abandoned animals find good homes and the number is growing every week. It truly is saving lives one cat and dog at a time. It costs an average of $60 per animal to get one spayed or neutered and often by the time they get a dog or cat adopted they have over $100 or more invested in that animal. All donations they raise and 100% of all the funds I raise for my marathon go directly to helping these animals.
I also was fortunate enough to be invited to the last board meeting for LRR and volunteered to be on the fundraising committee full time. So I'll be helping them out even after the Paris marathon. The people on the board are some of the nicest people I have ever met and are so passionate about this mission. We have some great fundraising ideas, Like a Walk in the Park for dogs and I am even considering looking into putting on a 5K run, 1 mile fun run for kids and a walk for the dogs. Our area doesn't have many races so I think we could do a good job advertising it and get a great turn out for a great cause. Also we are working on a dinner and silent auction to be held in May after I return from France.
I know fundraising for my marathon will be very difficult as some people may feel it is not a problem that affects them directly. But I urge you, that if you can help please do. It has to start somewhere. Any animal, any where in the world that we can help is an act of kindness and greatly needed.
Please go to www.logansrunrescue.com to find out more about the great dogs that are available for adoption and the great job these folks are doing educating the community.
On another note I am feverishly getting ready for our marathon "marathon" for Milestones Jewelry in Florida. We will be doing 5 marathons Expos from Feb.5-March 7th, On the list is The Melbourne music half marathon, The Suncoast Classic 5K & 10K in St. Pete, 26.2 with Donna in Jacksonville, Gasparilla in Tampa and then then Disney's Princess half marathon in Orlando. Then one weekend to drive back, make jewelry, recover and then off to Atlanta for ING Georgia.
I am planning on running in the Melbourne half and the Gasparilla half. I'll be dead on my feet, but I figure they'll help me get a feel of my process towards Paris. I can't wait to see my friends and family in Florida and have lots of running partners. Though I do have to say that I am very pleased to finally have found some running buddies (other than the dogs) here in Murphy. some very nice folks who have been nice enough invite me to join them on several runs a week. They are tough cookies too. They hit the hills like they are nothing, they are much faster than I am but I know running with them will make me stronger. so on that note I will close so that I can change to go run the hills in the cemetery (No that's not a typo)they run in a cemetery that has a great huge hill loop. Very difficult and challenging. but as a very nice man that I met last night said "Run the hills and race the flats" Great advice.
And I will leave you with this great quote:
I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals. Gary Larson

No comments: